24/7 Online Services
A range of excellent, free research resources
You can access all of them directly in the library. All except Ancestry and Access to Research can be accessed outside the library - just enter your library membership number at the prompt (e.g. 24102001234567)
You can browse through newspaper archives and look up words and definitions, synonyms, antonyms, rhymes and a whole lot more!
The Access to Research service is a new initiative to give free, walk-in access to a wide range of academic articles and research in public libraries across the UK.
Available from library PCs only.
Major family history resource including UK & Ireland Census collections 1841-1901, plus birth, marriage and death records ...and much more. Only available in the library.
Other useful resources: Ancestry Help & Advice Centre, 1881 UK Census, Family Tree Creator
24/7 access to e-books and e-audio books. You can now borrow books by using the Harrow digital library even when your local library is closed.
Part of the Reading Agency's Universal Reading Offer, which includes a national information offer to library customers, is called Bookmark Your Library which gives links to information on subjects including health, benefits, business and employment and access to library catalogues and a 24/7 enquiry service. To find out more look at this website bookmarkyourlibrary.org.uk
Community information can be displayed in the libraries.
Here is a policy that outlines the criteria used when deciding
what information can be displayed
Encyclopaedia Britannica for ages 5-11.
Encyclopaedia Britannica for ages 12 - 18.
Encyclopaedia Britannica for ages 18+.
The Complete Business Reference Adviser COBRA is a comprehensive and continually updated online encyclopaedia and reference resource for anyone looking to start a business, write a business or marketing plan, or conduct research into a new market. Relentlessly updated, COBRA provides critical business facts, compliance and trading details covering hundreds of the most common small business trades, sectors and professions.
- Access thousands of digital graphic novels and comics with Comics Plus using any PC or device with an internet connection.
- You will need your library card number and email address to set up your account. If you already have an account for our Zinio magazine collection you do not need to join again. You can use your existing Zinio login details to access Comics Plus.
- Items are loaned for one week and can be renewed as many times as you wish.
- A ComicsPlus Library Edition app is available (here) for iOS. An Android app is in development.
- Parental guidance: graphic novels and comics on ComicsPlus are suitable for under 18s but some material may be more appropriate for young people aged 13+. Age guidance is available for each magazine.
24/7 access to e-books and e-audio books. You can now borrow books by using the Ealing digital library even when your local library is closed.
COOCs have been developed to help people from all walks of life to share learning and create opportunities for personal development. For more information visit http://coocs.co.uk/
Getting started with computers and the internet can be difficult. To help you on your way, here are links to useful guides produced by Digital Unite.
Have you thought about expanding your knowledge by taking some courses? There are several colleges and other website that offer free online courses, certificate programs, some degree programs and education resources.
Prepare for your Citizenship test with this free study resource or just browse for help with your school or college work.
The British Way of Life is a comprehensive resource containing all the basic facts and information needed to help new arrivals understand, and succeed in, British life.
Search and access information from UK national and regional newspapers, and also European newspapers. Each issue of each newspaper is indexed thoroughly to enable you to find top news stories and also information contained in the various sections of the papers.
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Oxford Dictionaries Online
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography - biographies of 56,000 men and women who shaped British history worldwide
- Oxford Reference Online - English and bilingual dictionaries, quotations, maps and illustrations, timelines, encyclopaedia, and subject reference guides
- Who’s Who - The definitive directory of everyone who’s anyone in Britain, and beyond, today
Theory Test Pro is a highly realistic online simulation of the UK's driving theory test. It contains the entire official test question bank, hazard perception video clips and an online version of the Highway Code.
This newly upgraded service allows full text searching of The Times newspaper from the first issue in 1785 up to 2006. The search interface has changed and there is more content available.
Universal skills is a guide to help with Universal JobMatch and Universal Credit. It includes information on job hunting from CVs/covering letters to interviews and starting work. There is also help with improving basic IT skills.
Download the User Guide here.
Full digital versions of your favourite magazines to read online. Available from home and on many internet devices.
Zinio for Libraries - Essential maintenance: Thursday 3 November between 2am and 8am. During this time you may not be able to checkout, read online or download e-magazines using the Zinio app or your internet browser.
Ziptales is a fun on-line resource that uses stories, quizzes and games to make reading a pleasure for children.
- 500 + interactive levelled stories and curriculum aligned English lessons.
- Voice overs, animations, videos, follow up comprehension quizzes and much more.
- Over 1500 printable worksheets to follow up each story/lesson.
- A fun and SAFE online learning environment.
- Use in small groups, or individual use at the library AND at home.
- Access online anywhere from any device including computer, laptop, iPads, tablets and more.