National programme that encourages all parents and carers to enjoy books with children.
For 0 to 3 year olds - Nursery rhymes, simple stories, songs and finger rhymes.
For upto 5 year olds - Find out times and library locations of our storytime sessions.
For 8 to 12 years - The groups will focus on reading and talking about books.
Bookstart is the national programme that encourages all parents and carers to enjoy books with children from as early an age as possible. We want every child in the UK to develop a lifelong love of books. Working through locally-based organisations, Bookstart gives the gift of free books to babies up to 12 months and children at three years, along with guidance materials for parents and carers.
Bookstart also aims to foster a love of books through a range of fun activities. The more lasting gift is the message of children and families enjoying books together. The books are chosen by Booktrust, an independent charity that encourages people to discover and enjoy reading.
Many parents are surprised to learn that babies can benefit from books at such an early age, but research shows that babies and toddlers who love books begin reading sooner and have a better chance at school. The first five years are the best time for learning to talk and most of a child's language comes from the adults around them. Enjoying books with babies and toddlers is a wonderful way to increase language skills and helps children to understand their world.
Collect your free Bookstart pack from any Harrow library.
Rhyme Times.Nursery rhymes, simple stories, songs and finger rhymes. Join the fun and meet other parents and carers.
For 0-3 year olds:
- Gayton Library: Friday 10.00am - 10.30am, 11.00am - 11.30am.
- Kenton Library: Monday 2.15pm - 2.45pm. Tuesday 10.45am - 11.15am.
- Pinner Library: Monday 10.30am - 11.00am..
- Roxeth Library: Thursday 2.30pm - 3.00pm.
- Stanmore Library: Tuesday 11.00am - 11.30am. Thursday 10.00am - 10.30am.
- Wealdstone Library:Tuesday 11.00am - 11.30am. Thursday 11.00am - 11.30am.
For under fives:
- Gayton Library: Tuesdays, 2.15 - 2.45pm
- Pinner Library: Thursdays, 2.30-3.00pm
- Roxeth Library: Thursday, 2.30-3.00pm
- Wealdstone Library: Saturdays, 2.00- 2.30pm
For 4-7 year olds:
- Gayton Library: Saturdays, 11.00- 11.30am
Please note: During the school holidays libraries may replace the weekly storytime with another children's event.
What is Chatterbooks?
Chatterbooks is a children's reading club. It's fun and it's free. The groups will focus on reading and talking about books, some sessions may include word games, quizzes or other book related activities. For 8 – 12 year olds.
· Gayton Library – 3rd Thursday of the month, 5.00 – 6.00pm
· Pinner Library - 1st Thursday of the month, 4.15 - 5.15 pm
· Roxeth Library – Second Thursday of the month, 5.00 – 6.00pm