UNDER 5’S ACTIVITIES VOLUNTEER
What does the role involve?
All our under 5’s sessions encourage parent’s to use libraries with their children. They are an enjoyable social and educational activity that encourages parents to interact with their childrenand share stories and songs. They contribute to language development in babies and toddlers and increase parental confidence. By supporting these sessions, volunteers will be bringing added value to an already popular library service.
Hours expected from Volunteers
The hours expected from volunteers will vary depending on the library’s needs.
The maximum hours a volunteer can do is 4 hours per day.
- Assist Library staff in running the libraries under 5’s sessions
- Welcome parents / carers as they arrive
- Hand out the musical instruments
- Encourage and support parents / carers to participate in the session
- Talk to parents / carers before and after the session
Skills and Experience
- Experience of dealing with young children and their parents / carers and an enjoyment in working with them
- Good communication skills
- Patience and sympathetic attitude
Reliability and the ability to make a regular commitment to the library.
Senior staff will be responsible for training volunteers in their libraries. Volunteers will be contacted as to suitable days/times as to when to attend training within their appointed library. All volunteers will follow a borough wide agreed training standard.
There are various volunteering opportunities in libraries if interested.
Applications to volunteer should be made via:
Volunteer Champion CSS/Team Leader/Senior Library Assistant/Library Officer
Volunteers may claim direct travel costs reimbursed on production of receipts. The cost of a one day travel card will be the maximum paid to cover travel expenses.